What's happened to my TR6 transmission?

To: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: What's happened to my TR6 transmission?
From: RBMUSNRET@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 17:35:55 EDT
It's been raining (finally) here in Georgia, so I wasn't able to drive here
much lately.  Fired up my 75 TR6 just a bit ago and when I went to shift into
reverse to back out of the garage, much grinding was heard, but I was able to
get it into reverse.  When I went to shift into first, I could feel that it
was shifting very differently.  I've had the car 8 months and never
experienced any shifting problems.  Decided it was no time for a drive and
decided to pull back in the garage.  I had turned the engine off just to see
how it shifted when not running -- it was pretty stiff and not very crisp as
before.  Anyway, it wouldn't shift into gear with the engine running so I had
to shut it off, put it into first, start the engine and pull on into the
garage.  One other thing I noticed is that the clutch felt like it was
engaging much sooner (and with much less pedal travel) than I have been used
to with this car previously.  Anyway, if anyone has any ideas as to what the
problem might be please let me know.  Thanks.

Rick Murray
Lilburn, GA