TR3 Front hubs?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Front hubs?
From: Bob and Nancy <wises@mail.execpc.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:29:00 -0500
Dear TR3 Intelligentsia,

I rebuilt the front hubs on my TR3 today with new inner and outer
bearings and races.  The book says to load the bearing nut to 10
ft.lb (I made a guess at this) then back off 1.5 to 2 flats depending
on alignment of the cotter pin holes.  When I did that I got a wheel
with a lot of play in it.  Grabbing the top and bottom of the wheel
and shaking produced a lot of rattling.  So I snugged the nut up one
flat which took out the rattle.

Did I do the right thing?  How loose should the front wheels be?  Any ideas?

Bob