RE: Windshield Frame Seal

To: <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: RE: Windshield Frame Seal
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 14:09:22 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Brad,

I have kept this e-mail in my Outlook "follow-up" file.  Now I
have some answers.

Like you... I did not use any sealing goop when installed a new
windshield glass and gasket.  I drove my car up to Stowe, VT in a
heavy rain. I knew from getting caught in rain before that the
bottom corners of the windshield seal were leaking as the water
puddled at the 90 degree turn in the gasket. The night before I
left I tried to seal the window gasket.  I inserted a bent
pick... a cotter pin tool... under the seal to lift it. I started
at the topside of the drivers side... down through the corner...
over the bottom and up the other side.   There seemed to be too
much goop all over the place on the drivers side so I tried not
being so generous on the other side.

Well the drivers side didn't leak and the passengers leaked like
a faucet in the heavy downpours.  I had to ride with a towel
shoved in the windshield corner while I drove.

I am going to redo the passengers side.  The stuff I used was
from DURO and was jet black but not the right stuff.  It was
lacquer thinner based and dried to soon and was a real pain to
get off the gasket when too much was used.  I have a black
silicone based "make a gasket" material.  I wonder whether the
silicone is compatible with the rubber.  Any suggestions on what
the "professions use for this sealing job?

Bottom line is that I should have used sealant inside the gasket
grove when installing the glass.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site