TR6 Clutch Diagnosis

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Clutch Diagnosis
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 07:21:01 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I am concerned about the taper pin being broken in my 71 TR6.  The clutch
works great, I have no problem with it while driving the car.  When I was
under the car I noticed the piston in the slave cylinder extends to the end
of the cylinder, pushing the rubber seal off when the clutch pedal is
pressed.  I placed a couple washers between the cylinder and the bell
housing to move the cylinder back some.  The push rod is in the center hole,
and everything else looks to be in good condition.  I've been driving this
way for a while now, about 2000 miles with no problem.  My concern is that
if the taper pin is broken, will it leave me stranded some time?  I'm going
to be driving 4 hours to Lake City and with my luck it will leave me
stranded as soon as I get there.

Is there a way to check to see if the pin is broken without removing the
transmission?  I've already got a lot on between now and the end of October,
and pulling the transmission is not currently on my list.  I've looked in
the archives and found a lot of information on doing the repair, but nothing
on diagnosing the problem.  If I do have to pull it and do the repair I'll
also install a grade 8, 5/16 bolt as described frequently in the archives.

TIA

Ken Waringa