Success

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Success
From: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:34:50 -0700
Thought I would share my success in defeating the overheating problem
on Casper, my 57 TR-3.

I began with John Bailey's Tech Tip and then made a few modifications
of my own.

First: I had already installed an "original" thermostat so blocking
the bypass flow was not needed.
Second: It seemed to me that forcing the 5/8 heater hose over the
water pump outlet was hard, and that simply putting the added heater
core in series with the heater was much simpler, so I just removed
the "S" shaped heater hose from the block to the firewall and
replaced it with 5/8 hose to the added heater core.
Third: I removed the crankshaft driven fan, and the fan extension hub
and installed a Hayden "puller" thermostatically controlled electric
fan.

Everything Works...!!  I am begining to believe my Water Temp Gauge
reads about 20 deg high...I have a 165 mechanical thermostat, and the
Hayden thermostat is set for 185, on a 10 mile run the temp stayed
right on 185 (indicating to me the mechanical thermostat was
working).  I then let the car sit and idle the Hayden thermostat
kicked in at an indicated 205 +- and then cooled the engine nicely.

I guess the next test will be in stop and go driving...if I can find
any around here  :-) <big Grin>

--
Bill Pugh
aka Wily