Re: Decision on TR7 Bearings from Hell

To: "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, <eganb@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Decision on TR7 Bearings from Hell
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:09:31 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
15 years ago, when I bought my TR3A, I found that the #1 crankpin journal
was deeply scored and nicked due to a piece of the timing chaiin tensioner
going through the oil pump, through the oilways and lodging in the
connectiing rod bearing shell, thereupon scoring the crank with every
revolution.  I removed the connecting rod bearings nad carefully stoned the
scoring on the crankpin, using a small, fine, sharpening stone.  The car has
run fine ever since.  I would recommend the stone rather than a file.  Under
no circumstances should you use a Dremel tool.  And, I agree with David's
comments on break in.