Re: Cleaning out the hydraulics

To: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Cleaning out the hydraulics
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 10:39:11 -0500
Cc: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>, "Daniel S. Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>, "Tigers@autox,team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Alpines <alpines@autox.team.net>
Jeff McNeal wrote:

> Joe,
>
> You also neglected to mention that DOT 5 does not absorb moisture the way
> DOT 4 will, making it a far superior choice for drivers that only
> occasionally tool around in their cars.  The chance of corrosion in the
> braking system is greatly reduced.

  That's not completely true.

  Sadly, DOT5 doesn't absorb water, so the water often sits
at the bottom of the system, right in your expensive wheel
cylinders and calipers. This puts the corrosion right where
it's the most concentrated and expensive.

  As for the "eats paint" argument, maybe I don't care
enough about my engine underbonnet but I've never really
had a spillage problem.

  Not that I want to spill silicone all over a car that
I hope to paint anytime soon either, that might be
just as much work to deal with properly!

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca