Winterization concerns

To: "'heath@fsna.com'" <heath@fsna.com>, "'ncjoc@jagnet.com'" <ncjoc@jagnet.com>, "'modern@jag-lovers.org'" <modern@jag-lovers.org>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'jensen-cars@british-steel.org'" <jensen-cars@british-steel.org>
Subject: Winterization concerns
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:09:47 -0500
Hi Roger,

As an Aircraft Owner and Pilot since 1979, I have learned that running the
plane in the winter is a no-no unless one can fly the engine at least 45
minutes to an hour non-stop.  Why - because it takes that long, after
reaching  oil operating tenmperature to evaporate any moisture in the oil,
or what ends up in the oil from condensation inside the engine when the
engine is started.

 Often I will , if weather is bad after two weeks, just turn the propeller
over by hand about 25 times to manually lubricate the upper cylinder and the
bearing surfaces that are not 'embedded' in oil in the crankcase. In
air-cooled aluminum finned aircraft engines, this lubrication is equally as
critical as steel geared automobiles- the temps critical to 'cold start
wear' even greater than automobiles!

Personally- If I can't fly at least 1 1/2 hours on a given day (going and
coming from the $100 hamburger), I do the above.

The problem with stored cars is the tranny and differential. Running the
engine at idle for 45 minutes is fine- but the tranny and diff don't get
'hot'.  The tranny in an automatic will be OK- as the torque coverter will
pump ATF around, but with stick shift cars- that doesn't happen.

If I lived in Ottawa, Canada (I grew up in Upstate (Rome) New York, I'd
winterize the engine with a fresh oil change, fogging the engine (if
carbureted) and periodically just turn it over without ignition hooked up.
(keep battery on automatic trickle charger).

BTW, that's what I do on my TR4, E-Type V-12, and the '96 XJR, and will on
the Jensen Interceptor, none of which I subject to salt or cinders. I even
try to keep them away from  rain and road spray, especially as I try to keep
them 'Concours' care.

Sherman

Sherman D. Taffel
Columbia MD