Re: TR3 Sleeve height delta

To: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 Sleeve height delta
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 13:17:58 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
a Wallace wrote:

> In an effort to get the four cylinder sleeves all the same height I have
> removed and reinstalled several times, trying to get them to stand proud of
> the deck within the spec of 0.003" to 0.0055". I am glad that spec was
> there, as they all started out quite a bit higher.
> I have cleaned the surfaces, checked the fig. 8 gaskets (had four to
> compare), cleaned the bottom of the sleeves where they land on the gaskets,
> and now finally have them all within spec. #3 has really given me a lot of
> grief. I have even filed down the surface that lands on the fig. 8 gasket
> to remove a couple of thou. (I think that's what i did....)
> So now my question is - am I OK with three of them at the low end of the
> spec and one at the high end? i.e. will the head gasket compensate? I
> didn't see a spec for how close they need to be to each other. I will be
> using a regular composite head gasket, not the solid copper type.
> I would really like to hear from someone who has experienced this, and gone
> ahead with the rebuild, and what the outcome was. (There are probably lots
> of theories but I think I have already had most of them run through my head
> during the course of this exercise!)
> Thanks,
> Jim Wallace

I've been through a lot of wars with the sleeve protrusion / head gasket
situation, and if you are using the standard composite gasket, my experience is
that you ar okay and will not have a problem with a .001 - .0015 difference.
It's a whole different story with the steel shim or solid copper gaskets.

By the way, one way to shorten sleeves a couple of thousandths is to get a big
piece of abrasive paper or cloth (like the type used in a floor sander), tape
it down to an absolutely flat surface (like a pane of glass), stand the liner
on its head on the abrasive paper, and rub it back and forth in a figure 8
pattern, trying really hard to keep it flat all the while. I've taken sevral
thou off of them this way. It is time consuming, but hey, when you're doing it
on yur own engine, time is free, isn't it?

--

uncle jack

The Attorney General advises that vintage racing may be hazardous to your
wealth.