Re: Seats TR4a (leather vs. vinyl)

To: DShoop7572@aol.com, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seats TR4a (leather vs. vinyl)
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 13:36:53 -0700
DShoop7572@aol.com wrote:

> I guess the cold weather finally zapped the last bit of strength from my
> vinyl seat. The passenger seat is ok but the driver seat just came apart at
> the seams. I'm drooling to go leather and refurbish both but Santa is
> frowning on it. The Moss kits at $300.00 vinyl and $600.00 leather are a bit
> much for me right now ( plus labor) Has anyone had a local upholsterer do the
> job from scratch with their own material? I hate to spend the big bucks if it
> can be avoided. Is there a cheaper way without duct tape??? Oh boy

If you've lost vinyl to cold weather once, seems like the extra cost of leather
would be easy to rationalize. In fact, I'll save your post to show my wife when
it's time to buy the leather seat covers. <g>

Still, duct tape worked well on my 2002 driver's seat, though I didn't find
a good color match. <g> My TR4, an early car with the TR3 seats, shipped
with leather seats originally, but the front seats were recovered in vinyl by
a PO (perhaps The DPO). The DPO was a sturdy fellow, and between
his sitting and my two boys "driving", the nearly new driver's seat
covering succumbed a couple weeks after I got the car. I don't think the
vinyl seats could have been more than a few years old. If I were doing it
over -- and this year or next I will I suppose -- I'd go with leather.

Um, actually, I'd go with leather AND I'd look around for a heated seat kit.*
Anyone tried this?

*for my wife, not me. I'm driving around in a t-shirt in this balmy 50
degree spell, of course. ;-)
--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO