TR 3A Differential Rebuild?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR 3A Differential Rebuild?
From: "Robert Van and Ann Cross" <vancross@visuallink.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 18:22:15 +0200
Listers,
I appear to have too much play in the rear wheels.  That is, they move
approx. 3/4 of an inch before resistance is felt from the
gears/differential.  It is not the U joints or the ring and pinion gear.
I've had the differential cover off and checked to see where the play is.
It appears that there is "slop" in the differential pinion gear and the
pinion gear shaft.  Has anyone ever attempted to change these out? If so,
how hard is it?  Should this be left to someone who specializes in repairing
differentials?  Is it possible to do this with the differential in place?
I'm a fair mechanic but don't have the Churchill tools needed to do a total
rebuild of the differential.  Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Bob Van
1960 TR3A