Re: GT6 Half-Shaft Bolts

To: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 Half-Shaft Bolts
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:48:08 -0700
Cc: "'Martin A. Secrest'" <msecrest@erols.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
"Bowen, Patrick" wrote:

> try and find an industrial fastener shop.  You might have to ask at your
> local NAPA or other shops.  You will find the best hardware very inexpensive
> their.  That failing, NAPA carries a selection of good quality grade 8s.
> They might or might not have nylocs.  If they don't they sell something
> comparable.  I can't remember the exact name but they are a little pinched
> in at the top.  They work just as well.

The nut you refer to is known, generally, as a prevailing torque nut. I
think there are a couple of styles of deformation, probably related to
the size of the nut--some are oval-shaped at the top, some have roughly
triangular deformations.

I would strongly suggest nylocs for all fine-thread fasteners. We have
had nothing but problems in the plant where I work with the smaller
diameter fine-thread PT nuts, mostly from people using air ratchets to
draw them down onto the bolt. To work properly, they must be installed
by hand. Nylocs do much the same thing, but are a little more forgiving,
and are not as likely to chew up threads. And, as with any PT fastener,
nyloc or deformed nut, correct practice is not to re-use the nut after
it's been removed.

Cheers, all.

--

Michael D. Porter