TR4A exhaust onto a TR3 head

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4A exhaust onto a TR3 head
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 22:11:09 EST
>> Will a exhaust manifold from a TR4A (4 into 2) fit onto a head of a TR3 ?
Thanks, Pat<<

Pat,
I think the TR4A exhaust manifold only fits the later high port heads used on
late TR4s and all TR4As? (might be wrong?)
I am installing a TR4A exhaust (4into2into1) on my late TR4 highport head,
and not only need to buy the TR4A double down pipe I also need the SPECIAL
'Y' collector pipe and seperate connector pipe only sold at TriumphTune (Moss
UK). The typical TR4A 'Y collector pipe' is a 'one piece unit' and connects
the 'double down pipe' to the first exhaust pipe. The special TWO-PART 'Y'
collector pipe sold by TriumphTune consists of a 'Y' piece' and a SEPERATE
'connector pipe' with slightly different routing bends. This is a retro-fit
design specially made for the ladder type frames of the TR3 and TR4 which is
quite different than the bell-shaped TR4A frame.
ps; for all the expense and time of adapting a TR4A exhaust manifold to a TR4
- I might have been better off just buying the tubular extractor header and
save money due to less clamps, no need for the double downpipe, one less
gasket, and less searching and shipping from UK!
A difference between the cast manifolds and tube extractor headers is the
original exhaust castings have the bolt connection points to the intake
manifolds to transfer heat and help atomize the incoming gas mixture.
Nowadays though the thinking is "it's better to jam pack the chambers with
colder and denser gas mixture for a bigger bang - 'heat-aided atomizing'
expands the mix, so less fits in the chambers".
The extractor headers (tubes) helps pull exhaust gases out of the head
through the momentum of previous 'exhaust pulses' going down the long
lengthes of the tubes..
ok - I'm getting dangerous here..

Regards

Carl Sereda