Re: Title companies

To: fogbro1@home.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Title companies
From: TexasTR4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 14:11:21 EST
In a message dated 12/01/2000 10:07:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
fogbro1@home.com writes:

<< Any advice on how to obtain a title for a 40 year old car? Any personal
 experiences with companies offering this service; good or bad?

 Ed Woods >>

Ed,

Your car?  If you have simply misplaced the title, your state DMV should have
a process to replace it.

Buying from someone?  It depends on why they have no title.  See above if
they have lost it.  If you are buying from a garage or such, they can apply
for a mechanic's lein and get a new title this way.  However, this must be
quite a hassle as most I have dealt with would rather sell it for parts that
go through the motions and get a title.

Your DMV should also be able to do a search and tell you who the last titled
owner is...then perhaps you can track that person down and get them to sign a
bill of sale and lost title application for a small fee.  I've been this
route, but just like the lady in Streetcar named Desire, you will be relying
upon the generosity of others.

Finally, if you are really challanged, and I would never ever, ever suggest
you do such a thing, titles and number plates are available on ebay for
"collectors" of such things, or perhaps a cheap tub parts car from a lister
could supply these....but again, that might not be ethical and I do not
personally endorse this method or even know anyone that would consider doing
such a thing.

Good luck,

RH