Liner boring post-Agrarian Engines

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Liner boring post-Agrarian Engines
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 13:04:24 EST
Cc: thefryes@iconn.net
List,

I got this from my fellow racing friend, Henry Frye. His experience with a
machine shop is similar to mine, only I had the great fortune of getting the
right machine shop the first time.  My machine shop specializes in stock car
engines, but also does wet sleeve work as we are in the heart of wet sleeve
liner country....Waterloo, Iowa/John Deere. (They also kept me out of trouble
on bronze guides, also...which is another story)

So, it appears that the key is a shop that can inspect and set up for bore
properly. Read on for Henry's experience.

<< Here's the post...

 Greetings,

 Several years on the big Triumphs list gave me the impression that the
 consensus was boring liners is an iffy proposition. There are two camps
 represented, those that say it does not work, and those that say it CAN
 work. The bottom line is if you find a shop that knows what they are doing,
 you have a great chance at success. The trick is the liners must be under
 the torque of a device that is acting like the cylinder head while the
 boring is taking place.

 I took up Vintage Racing this past year, I built up two race engines. On
 the first I used a set of liners that came with my race car. The PO told me
 the liners were freshly bored. I did not have the machine shop check the
 liners, and on my first race weekend I found out one of the liners was not
 perfectly round. By day two I had copious amounts of blowby. My machine
 shop gave me the bad news, I had trashed on of my racing pistons. There was
 several thousands off the skirt. On each power stroke the piston was
 cocking sideways in the bore. On the next engine I started from scratch.
 All parts went to the shop for checking, no more assuming the parts I had
 were OK.

 Luckily, my local machine shop is no stranger to the wet liner TR engine.
 They do all the machine work for Morgan Spares, so they do several of these
 engines a year. When I explained my concerns about boring the liners to the
 machinist, he quickly put me at ease. This is what they do.

 After boiling out the block and magnifluxing everything, the liners are set
 back into their bores in the block on top of a new figure 8 gasket. They
 install the head studs, and bolt on a torque plate. This puts the liners
 under the same torque they will see under the head. Then, the block is set
 up in the cylinder boring machine and they carefully bore each hole to
 specification. Then, there is one guy at the shop who sets the liner
 protrusion.

 Liner protrusion is a critical element to success with these engines,
 especially if you are using a radically shaved head. The stock spec is .003
 to .005 proud of the deck. This will work fine with a stock copper/asbestos
 head gasket. Many racers use either the steel shim headgasket or a reusable
 solid copper headgasket. Remember the steel or copper headgaskets are not
 compressable, so the need for uniform liner protrusion is more critical.
 Also, you want to be at the low end of the liner protrusion range for the
 non-compressable head gaskets.

 Last item about used liners. It is imperative that two areas seal
 perfectly, the flange on the bottom where the figure 8 gasket seals, and
 the top where the head seals. Any pitting in these areas is unacceptable.
 Also, check the recess in the block carefully where the figure 8 gasket
 sits. That shelf must be perfect as well.

 I believe most racers are buying forged racing pistons and getting liners
 bored to match. New liners are available in a variaty of sizes as well.

 Henry Frye, Connecticut, USA  -  thefryes@iconn.net
 Stag, TR3B, TR250's and a TR4 Vintage Racer