Mysterious clicking - more information

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mysterious clicking - more information
From: Paul Mitchell <paul-m@mweb.co.za>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 17:05:16 +0200
Michael, and anyone else who can help,

The mysterious clicking from the rocker cover indeed appears to have
been
caused by something, presumably a rocker, striking the cover from
underneath. Here's what I have found so far:
I removed the rocker cover (much trickier than you might think with all
the fuel pipes over the top!), and there is a small mark on the inside
of
the cover in exactly the 'right' place that I pinpointed using the
brilliantly simple and effective screwdriver/stethescope trick Michael
describes below.
This seems to correspond to valve no. 9 counting from the front. From
inspection, and running it at idle with the cover off, the only thing
that seems possible wrong is that the top of the valve doesn't line up
perfectly with the rocker as it does on the other 11. There doesn't seem
to be
excessive lateral play in the rocker itself, at least compared to the
others, but it's hard to judge. What counts as excessive anyway? Does
this mean my valve is bent? Or something else?

Please help - I need to get the car back on the road as soon as possible
-
it's my only car!

Thanks

Paul