Re: Help with plug welding

To: Cliff Hansen <hansenc@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Help with plug welding
From: Joe Dill <joe45@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 19:29:33 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Besides the good advice offered by ZincZ10C, you might keep a couple other
things
in mind.  If the heat is turned up too high with insufficient wire feed speed,
the consumable electrode (filler wire) will begin to melt back before travelling
across the arc onto the workpiece.  This could result in the electrode melting
back into the tip of the wire feed gun. Also, keep your gun tip to workpiece
distance relatively short (about 1/4") just enough so you can see the molten
puddle while welding.  Also make sure you are welding onto bare metal.  A layer
of rust or heavy paint could cause the inadequate weld fusion you experienced.
The best method is indeed to have some samples representative of the thicknesses
you are welding to "develop" a setting that gives a good metallurgical bond.
That way you can optimize the gun tip to workpiece distance, heat setting and
wire feed speed.  You can then "qualify" your test samples by trying to chisel
or
peel them apart.
Joe Dill
('74 TR6)