RE: TR-6 Tub

To: "Patrick Bitton" <pbitton@axess.com>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR-6 Tub
From: "Eric Conrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:37:18 -0700
Patrick wrote:  <<My problem is that all the holes align with the frame
except for 2. The front wheel arches have mounting
holes that don't align. What can I do?>>

Patrick,
I'm guessing that the two holes that don't align are the holes that would
mount the inner wheel wells with the (approximately) 35 vertical degree
square bars that connect the upper front suspension to the frame.  I'm
assuming that you pulled the body tub yourself, and that you have your notes
for the number of spacers for each shim point, and mounting hole.

That said, I also recently (within the last two weeks) lowered my TR6 body
tub onto my finished frame.  As I checked alignment for all holes, I also
found that those two holes didn't seem to align - matter of fact, each hole
seemed to be just slightly forward of where a perpendicular bolt would need
to be.  What I did was put the 3/8" bolt into the hole, and check for safe
passage.  All I had to do was gently tap each bolt to cause them to pass
through this bar member.

As I had extensive notes showing the number of spacers at each mounting
point, and I had all the original spacers as reference points, I found that
I required an additional spacer at this angled mounting point.  As I went
through my notes, and compared the new rubber and spacers to the old, I
found that the needed additional runner spacer must be the result of the
other rubber "washers" being fresh, rather than "squished" after years of
being compressed.

End of story is that ALL mounting points are in place, aligned, and the tub
is now firm on the frame.

Eric Conrad
'76 TR6 - began spraying high build primer on external panels for finish
sanding.