Re: Home Powder Coating

To: tr6@pipeline.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Home Powder Coating
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:07:58 EST
In a message dated 12/10/00 2:59:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tr6@pipeline.com writes:

<< I am considering getting
 one of these systems for myself and have a question. I don't want to use
 the family oven and really don't have room in the garage to locate an oven.
 How bad are the fumes given off in this process?  I was considering putting
 a stove in the basement but I don't want to chase everyone out of the
 house.  I would also appreciate any other advise regarding these systems. >>

Ron -
I  have the Eastwood system and have used it a good bit. Unless your
basement has its own ventilation system and there's a good vapor barrier
between it and your living area, this is not something you want to do.
Fumes will vary depending on the part - parts with greater mass must
stay in longer before the powder flows out and here's my worst case
scenario: something inside one of my trailing arms started to burn before
the powder flowed out. After 1st coat of silver, did a coat of clear and
whateveritwas inside the trailing arm started to burn again at exactly the
same time
in the oven. The trailing arm came out looking great but its a real good
thing i did this in a detached garage.
Beyond that I am a big beleiver in powder coating - its really easy to do
well.
Cheers
Jack Mc