[Fwd: Fan Imbalance>3800RPM/Electric Fan Conversion/ Question]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Fan Imbalance>3800RPM/Electric Fan Conversion/ Question]
From: "Sherman D. Taffel" <staffel@home.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:00:17 -0400
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:58:40 -0400
From: "Sherman D. Taffel" <staffel@home.com>
To: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>

Hi Randall
Thanks so much for your reply. Very good information I'll refer to as I
get into it.

By measuring the static distance between the rear surface of the
radiator and the front tip of each fan blade (the edge point that is
closest to the radiator surface at each 'peak' position of the fab
blades), I was attempting to verify that each blade was running in the
same fore/aft 'circumference of plane'.

When the engine is running at idle speeds I can visually observe a
fraction of variance of the 'spinning fan'. This to me indicated that
the balancing with the 'balance piece'- was still not 'perfect'. A year
ago I installed new fan mount rubber bushings, insured the bolts were
all equal length, etc.

I know Triumph later went to the plastic fan on the TR250, eliminating
the realatively 'heavy'TR3/4/4A series metal fan blade and individual
fan blade weight variations (like a ceiling fan).  A plastic fan
probably would solve the balance and >3800RPM vibration, but not the
other two concerns(dust and winter warm-up).

 My thinking is I do hope to have the TR take us to regional events next
season- so why subject the engine (and us) to unnecessary vibrations,
when the electric fan will solve the vibration problem forever.

Regarding the front crossmember removal for the crank front oil seal
replacement, thanks to the list last year, I now know the trick there
(jack up the front crossmember).

Thanks again!!!
Sherman

Randall Young wrote:
I also didn't understand your comment about measuring between the fan
blades and radiator.  The weights are to balance the weight of the fan
blades, not move them.