RE: '74 TR6 featured in Piggot's TR book FS on eBay

To: "TR List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: '74 TR6 featured in Piggot's TR book FS on eBay
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:51:43 -0700

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=524061479
&r=0&t=0>

This looks like a nice car from the pictures. However, I have a few
questions about what it's doing in the book. (I don't have the book and have
never read it but I have seen references to it as some sort of restoration
guide for the cars).

1. Did any TR6s from the factory have the engine bay painted black instead
of the body color?
2. Did any TR6s have a high gloss finish on the dash instead of a satin
finish?
3. Did any green TR6s have red carpet matched with tan seats & panels & a
red handbrake cover?
4. Did any TR6s not have a reflective striped roof installed from the
factory?
5. The car looks like a 74.5 model -- did those models have the large (15")
black spoked steering wheel or the smaller silver spoked one?

These are a few of the things on the car which don't seem 'authentic' to me.
But I am open to corrections from more authoritative sources. Is the book
really a restoration guide, and if so, how accurate? Of course the context
in which this car appears in the book might be totally opposite to my
assumption that it's there as an 'authentic' TR6.

Not trying to put down the car, but is this a 'concours contender' (as the
ad states -- with 'additional underhood detailing')? And, I'm not a concours
freak, but I am interested in having a good record for authenticity. I have
no doubt the car is nice, but it just seems to be a slight
mis-representation of what's really authentic.

Hope no one takes this post the wrong way...

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO