Spit 1500 fuel tank capacity?

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit 1500 fuel tank capacity?
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:39:49 -0500
Here is a question I have had for nearly 13 years and have been too
sheepish to ask.  The fuel gauge in my 1980 Spit has never read higher
than about 2/3 full after a fill-up.  When the gauge reads empty and
I do fill up, it takes only 6.5 or 7 gallons.  I always assumed the
gauge reads wrong and that there must be a few gallons remaining
even when it reads empty.  But, working on that theory, I have
occasionally run out of gas and found that the fill-up still
required only 7 gallons.  This past summer I replaced the sending
unit with another taken off a parts car, and it read the same as
my original one.  The guage does read full when the lead wires to
the sender are shorted though.  Then I found a way to adjust the
sender so the gauge reads full when the tank is full, but now it
reads about 1/3 full when I run out of gas.  So it appears that my
tank capacity is about 7 gallons.  But the tank looks just like the
original ones pictured in the parts catalogs.  So, if it is original,
I see only two possibilities:

1) There is something taking up space in the tank.  But, if that is
    the case, it would have to be blocking the float in some way too.

2) Maybe when I think I have run out of fuel, I really haven't.  Last
    week, when I ran out on the way to work, there was an obvious
    vacuum hiss when I popped the filler cap.  I was in too much of
    a hurry to try to restart; I just dumped about a half gallon in
    from a small can I have started carrying recently.  I know, I know,
    that is not smart, and I will stop as soon as I either solve this
    problem or reset the sender so the gauge reads empty when it really
    is empty.  Anyway, if there is a problem with the breather line
    and the carbon cannister that is producing a vacuum which overcomes
    the fuel pump, why is my gauge not reading full scale?  In all
    honesty, I have come to believe that when I run out of gas, I'm
    REALLY out; I don't hear any sloshing when I rock the car.

So, WHAT'S UP?  Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Tim

--
Tim Gaines
Clinton, SC