RE: TR3B on E-Bay STC#

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3B on E-Bay STC#
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:02:46 -0800
Bob :

That's an interesting theory.  But, why (and how) would the dealer have fitted
1967 smog equipment in 1963 ?  Seems to me 1963 smog equipment would be more
appropriate.  Plus, there was no need to change the carbs as well, 1963 ZS carbs
weren't any 'cleaner' than SUs, just cheaper.

BTW, my TR3A was made in 1958, but is titled in CA as a 1959 (although I don't
know if it was originally sold here).  No STC plate or anything.  My
understanding is that the practice then was to use "date first sold" instead of
model year, and ISTR it even says that on the title.  The legal concept of
'model year' wasn't introduced until sometime in the mid 60s, to deal with smog
certification issues.  The smog laws are mostly based on date of manufacture,
too.

Randall