Brake clicking sound problem explained

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake clicking sound problem explained
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:35:12 -0800
     I couple of weeks ago I posted questions about a clicking noise when
braking. Here's my reply to those who responded.  I decided to post it for
everyone's benefit.
     Today my handyman and I had a look at the brakes. (I was surprised at
how simple it was to get them out.) It turns out that an offending pad is
1/16" shorter than the other three and that the probable reason the noise
started up is that the retainers which hold the pads in place from above
have grown slack.
     It was interesting to observe that the small steel springs under the
triangular retainer plates that hold the pads in place are not indicated in
any of my shop manuals but are in the vendor catalogues.
     I'm not sure where to go from here. The pads have almost no wear, so
it's a shame to replace the set, but I will if that is the only solution.
     Any idea if there are high performance semi-metallic brake pads
available for later TR-3s?
     John Cowan

     Forward this review to a friend.  To subscribe, send email to:
jfcowan@pacbell.net.  Check out previous reviews at:
http://home.pacbell.net/jfcowan