TR7 BFH#39

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH#39
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 17:18:22 EST
Progress.  A step at a time, dragging the TR7 along with me as it kicks and
screams.....

Turns out both the battery and alternator leads go to the same connector on
the starter.  If I had paid attention to the dirt on the other connector, I
would have realized nothing had been attached to it before.

So, the first big moment.  We turn the key and the starter turns the motor
and after a moment we see oil pressue on the gauge we hooked up -- maybe 25
pounds or so.  So, at least the lubrication system is functioning.

So, we hook up distributor et al, and try for the big moment.  No big moment.
 The TR7 is NOT interested in starting.  There is definitely spark to the
plugs, but every time I pull them out to inspect them they are pretty wet
with fuel.  Starter fluid didn't work either.

Things must be way out of wack for it not to even try starting.  I turned the
engine to TDC, and groove on camshaft wheel lined up with mark, and
distributor rotor was generally pointing to the last intake manifold bolt, so
I must be in the ballpark.

FYI, I've never started this car in cold weather -- about 45 F today, so I
don't know what to expect from it.  Anyway, I'll cruise back through my
manuals tonight.

As always, any advice/jokes are welcome -- particularly sure-fire ways to get
the TR7
started and/or clever ways to diagnose the problem.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC