Re: TR4A solid axle frame questions (answers)

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4A solid axle frame questions (answers)
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:22:12 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 00-12-15 10:39:07 EST, Rikrock writes:

<<
 Why I find odd, though, is that the IRS frame I was looking at has the leaf
spring mounting brackets (rear) and the drawings of the IRS frame in my
factory workshop manual indicate these pieces were welded on all TR4A frames.
 Why?  I mean if the frame was designed for IRS from the start, what's the
point?  It certainly makes the job of converting from IRS to solid axle
easier, but is that what they were thinking??!!?? >>

Art,

Well, all it took was a quick look at a complete TR4A IRS car to answer my
question.  The rear spring shackle mount also serves as the mount for another
bracket which is bolted to it.  That bracket does double duty, bracing the
rear fender just behind the rear wheel opening, and as the forward mount for
the "arms" of the rear bumper, just as it does on earlier TR4's.

Triumph must have decided to stick with that setup for all TR4A's rather than
design a new bracket just for the IRS cars.

Simple as that!!

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA