TR-2/4A: Grounding strap magic

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-2/4A: Grounding strap magic
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:46:34 -0800
    Several years ago I reported to the list that I solved the first
problem with my newly revived TR-3A, restoring normal starting capability,
by spotting the disconnected engine/chassis grounding strap and
reconnecting it.
    Well, the electrics on a '66 TR-4A I purchased recently were
abysmal.  Besides dimness and flickering all around, the turn signals
wouldn't fire when the headlights were on.  The grounding strap was intact,
so I searched fruitlessly for solutions elsewhere.
    The car has been up on jack stands since last winter for mechanical
work.  Just before returning it to service, I had an inspiration and asked
my handyman to remove the strap.  Turns out, that although it was plenty
tight, the connection to the chassis was both rusty and contaminated with
paint ?UvOroad grime.  We cleaned it up, put it back and guess what?  No
more problems.  Electrics are 100 % ok.  Now I know where that two volts I
couldn't find with a volt meter were being dropped :-)
    John Cowan

     Forward this review to a friend.  To subscribe, send email to:
jfcowan@pacbell.net.  Check out previous reviews at:
http://home.pacbell.net/jfcowan