Tr6- a couple of distributor questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tr6- a couple of distributor questions
From: "Tim Taylor" <Tim@steelstudios.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:28:10 -0600
Hi All

While setting the timing and poking around in the distributor of my  76 tr6
(22D stamped on the retard unit) this weekend I made a couple of
observations...

#1 The springs on the mechanical  advance weights   seem fairly limp, and
there seems to be zero tension and a little play on them when  the rotor is
not turning (a symptom of this seems to be that the car doesn't want to come
down to idle if it currently is above 2000 rpms).  I want to change them
out. They don't seem to be listed in the Moss, VB or rimmer catalogs. And I
can't seem to dig up my TRF catalogs.  I noticed that
Cambridgemotorsports.com listed as "Contains six springs allowing a choice
of advance curves. Suitable for all Lucas distributors" Is this the only
option?

#2  I have plugged off the vacuum retard line but I noticed that the spring
to the plate assembly that the points mount to (which now holds an ignitor)
is no longer connected to the inside of the retard assembly.  I can't really
tell if the spring is broken off it only appears to have a loop on the
points end like this:
0(((((((((
not a loop on both ends like this : 0((((((((((0

So I was going to pull off the vacuum unit to see how that other end
connects  but it appears to be sealed onto the dizzy. So I guess my
questions here are.
#1  I know I've seen these vacuumed units list as parts. How does one remove
it?

#2 Since I'm not using the retard, if I leave off the spring to the points
plate will they shift foreword and muck with the timing without the tension
of that spring holding them back? Especially since the points plate assembly
seems rather well worn.

Thank you in advance.

Tim Taylor

Austin Tx