TR4 - OD Sealing Question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 - OD Sealing Question
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 10:03:46 -0500
Listers,

The list seems to be down, but I'll post this for when it comes
back.  Mark must be traveling for the holidays and the computers
burped or he had a power outage.  I'm home this week on vacation
doing the fun stuff on the TR4.

I am reassembling my A-Type OD and I need some advice on how to
seal the two half's of the OD case.  There is an aluminum front
case and an aluminum rear case.  In between is a cast iron Brake
Ring.  The Brake Ring has flanges on it that are supposed to fit
tightly inside each case and form a leak free seal.  No way...
not on a Triumph!  The manuals don't call for a gasket of any
kind.  The OD I found has a lot of time on it and the cases have
a couple of nicks in the aluminum flange area from prior
disassemblies and rebuilds.  I have smoothed these out as best I
can.

Since we all know that this concept was not possible on British
cars then or now... what is the best practice on what to use to
keep it from leaking but not glue the pieces together for
eternity.

When I disassembled the OD... the parts were sealed with a
semi-translucent red-pink shellac-like substance that made it
almost impossible to get the pieces apart.  I will try to reach
John Esposito, at Quantum Mechanics, as well and I'll post his
answer if I do talk to him.  He has been very helpful to me with
parts and advice... but I am not sure if I can reach him during
the holidays.

TIA

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L so to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com