TR6, new block, no oil pressure, What The Hey?!?

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6, new block, no oil pressure, What The Hey?!?
From: "Gene Garrison" <gene@garrison-grafixx.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 13:52:52 -0800
Oh, boy.

So after fighting the thrust washer problem for the last 11 years (since the
last time I rebuilt the engine), I decided it was time for a permanent fix.
Bought a new short block from TRF, rebuilt crank, and all the other
necessities for building a motor.  Put it in, hooked it up, fired it up...
no oil pressure.  None.

Pulled the distributor, verified that the oil pump was being engaged.
Turned the oil pump with a screwdriver, got oil pumping up into the
distributor shaft area.  Put the distributor back in, started it up, no oil
pressure.

Verified that the pressure relief valve was seating properly.

Pulled the oil pan, took out the oil pump, verified all the clearances.  All
was great; this pump is only about 2 years old.  Replaced it during one of
the thrust washer replacement episodes 'cause oil pressure was getting low
at hot idle.  Primed pump with Vaseline, put back in, verified that it
engaged.  Started engine, no oil pressure.

Any thoughts?

This was literally a new block.  Still coated with that oil and oiled paper
they wrap things in, although the oil had pretty much turned to varnish.  I
plugged up all the openings in the oil rail with the hex bolts.  Could I
have missed something inside that required plugging?

I've "always" had the spin-on oil filter adaptation.  There are two gaskets
between that and the block.  It's pumped enough oil to fill the filter and
coat the dipstick, but there's none flowing out the rockers.  There's an oil
rail plug above the pressure relief valve; pulled that and started it up.
No oil gushing out.

Damned peculiar.

I assume it's unrelated and coincidental, but the oil pressure switch is not
working.  Can't get the idiot (no pressure) light to come on.  The reading
of no oil pressure is from the direct gauge.

Thanks big bunches for any help,

- GeneG
- www.garrison-grafixx.com/tr6