Re: TR4-OD sealing question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4-OD sealing question
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 21:38:29 EST
Brian,

The rebuilder who rebuilt my Overdrive (and has been in the Brit
breaking/rebuilding biz for 35 plus years used silicon gasket sealer - but
lightly so it doesne't squish into the innards and muck up the works). It is
orange-ish red.
Happy Holidays in the garage!

Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

>>I am reassembling my A-Type OD and I need some advice on how to
seal the two half's of the OD case.  There is an aluminum front
case and an aluminum rear case.  In between is a cast iron Brake
Ring.  The Brake Ring has flanges on it that are supposed to fit
tightly inside each case and form a leak free seal.  No way...
not on a Triumph!  The manuals don't call for a gasket of any
kind.  The OD I found has a lot of time on it and the cases have
a couple of nicks in the aluminum flange area from prior
disassemblies and rebuilds.  I have smoothed these out as best I
can.
Since we all know that this concept was not possible on British
cars then or now... what is the best practice on what to use to
keep it from leaking but not glue the pieces together for
eternity...
TIA
Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L so to be "O" - Groton, MA <<