Re: Zobo, Zest, Zoom, Zebu

To: kmr@pil.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Zobo, Zest, Zoom, Zebu
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 18:57:06 EST
In a message dated 12/26/00 7:40:02 PM EDT, kmr@pil.net writes:

> Any TR historians care to explain why from mid-1950's through the early
>  1960's Triumph's vehicle development programs consisted of four letter
>  words beginning with Z?  There must be some story behind this...

Not too much of a story. According to Langworth & Robson's _Triumph Cars: The
Complete Story_, it was around the time that planning and development began
for what ultimately became the Herald. "Harry Webster told us that at about
this time he had asked his administrators to draw up a series of project
codes, all with four letters and all beginning with the letter 'Z', 'so that
none of our competitors would understand what we were planning'."

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President and Zobo, er, Herald Consultant
The Vintage Triumph Register