Re: question

To: Herald948@aol.com, nkreider@kreiderb.com
Subject: Re: question
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:21:17 EST
Cc: cak@dimebank.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 27-Dec-00 11:24:47 Eastern Standard Time, Herald948 writes:

> >  We are planning to restore/refurbish our 1967 TR-4A/IRS.  It will be
> >  repainted (the original) BRG color.  My
> >  question is this: it has a surry top.  Should the top be the same color
> as
> >  the car, or would black be appropriate.
> >  I do not how "the factory" produced these units.  In addition, since
> there
> >  are so many versions of BRG available, can you suggest a reference for
> the
> >  "original" factory paint color.

The name "surrey top" was originally used only for the soft portion.
However, there are 3 parts to the whole arrangement.  The first is what is
referred to as the "backlight."  This is a cast aluminum frame with a window
in it.  It is fixed semi-permanently to the rear deck of the cockpit.  It was
available normally in body color, but black or white could be ordered.  The
second part is a steel hood which covers the opening between the backlight
and the windshield frame.  Color options were the same as the backlight.  The
third part (originally called the "surrey top") was canvas (same color as the
normal convertible tops - white or black) with a folding framework.  The
framework and the canvas would cover the cockpit opening when the hard top
was stored.

Andy's answer to the BRG paint question is correct.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT 33118L
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant