Re: TR-6 Tail-Lights

To: Patrick Bitton <pbitton@axess.com>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Tail-Lights
From: bob <rmf3860@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:54:58 -0400
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Patrick:

I just happen to have completed the same project on my 75 TR6. I
purchased new lens to lens frame gaskets as well as body to lens frame
gaskets.  I assume you did the same.

I did not use any RTV/silicone/sealer. As long as the mating surfaces
are smooth and clean, there is no need for any goop.  When you screw the
frames back in place from inside the trunk, tighten each screw down so
that about one quarter of the gasket is compressed.  This also keeps the
gap uniform and factory new in appearance.

I'd like to pass on some additional things I did during this project
which you may wish to consider, since everything is already apart. Wash
your lenses in detergent and then buff them using a buffing wheel and
the appropriate color rouge. Use a loose string buffing wheel. If you
don't have access to a buffer, polish the lenses with a mild polishing
compound by hand. You won't believe what a difference it makes.  While
the assemblies are off, repaint the light reflectors using silver or
chrome paint. Eastwood sells a specific color for this task, but I
bought a can of chrome spray paint at Home Depot and got excellent
results. The last thing I did, as a preventative measure, was (with the
battery disconnected) used emery cloth and an emery board nail file to
clean all the electrical connections, including the ground in the trunk.

Sorry I answered more than your question, but I like to pass on things
when they work well for me.

Bob Fabie
Fredericksburg, Va