Triumph badge

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, herald1200@home.com
Subject: Triumph badge
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:42:02 EST
Scott wrote: <snip>

PS- Here's another iron for the fire- What IS the Triumph badge (as on the
front grille and the horn push) supposed to be? Wings, or an open
Service/Parts manual?

>>>The Standard-Triumph badge to which you refer is often (incorrectly)
referred to as the 'open book' motif, but in fact is a
stylised representation of the truncated wings of the Wyvern of Mercia.

>>>source: The Standard Motor Club historian (who's name escapes me, poss'
John Blackwell).

The Wyvern is of course a mythical two legged dragon and is the symbolic
beast of middle England, an area of Anglo-Saxon England known as Mercia.

What is now Coventry was the capital (I believe).
If you ever find yourself in the City of Coventry and see a police car, you
will notice that the door badge says 'West Mercia Police'
Hope that helps somewhat.

Regards

Leon

(purveyor of probably useless information)

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.