Car Cleaning/Wash/Wax Questions You were always afraid to ask!

To: "Triumphs@autox. team. net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car Cleaning/Wash/Wax Questions You were always afraid to ask!
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:30:51 -0500
I was cleaning one of my vehicles today and was once again pondering some
questions I've mulled over for years so I thought what better group of
guys/gals to pose them to but the Triumph list.  These were brought on by my
most recent receipt of a bunch of goodies from Meguiars.  I bought a clay
bar "system" kit, some body scrub, some polish (not wax), a tire goo.

Here we go:

1)  Clay Bar: the bar looks somewhat generic, is there a source or
replacement for these clay bars on the cheap?

2)  Wheel Cleaning:  I've tried various and expensive alloy wheel cleaners
but have been using Simple Green for a while.  On clear-coated wheels is
this dangerous?

3)  Meguiars Body Scrub:  what's the difference between this stuff and
rubbing or polishing compound?

4)  Rag/towel cleanup:  After one is through removing the dirt and debris
from one's car what is the best way to clean the towels.  In particular, I
remember throwing them in the washer once and getting a wax buildup/residue
on inside.  Also it doesn't appear to be a good idea to use the fabric
softener as it tends to reduce the towel's absorption if used.

Thanks in advance

Ashford Little

PS:  I will say the Meguiars carnuba wax is some good stuff.  I noticed a
large difference between this type of wax and the regular waxes I've used in
the past.