Idler Gasket

Subject: Idler Gasket
From: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:09:14 -0500
Cc: "John Krause (home)" <jktr250@aol.com>
Well, I am now starting to work on the steering of my TR3
restoration. Finished the tie rod and all ball joints. My
question to the list is, is the rubber gasket that fits on the
idler arm a special gasket? The one I removed seems to have and
outer lip to it but this is hard to tell since it is hold and
a bit compressed. Stopped at the local hardware store and found
one that is the same outer diameter, the inner diameter would
need to be cut larger and it is a standard 1/16" thickness. Two
of these appear to be the right size for the space that is
created when you back off the arm one rotation. Am I trying to
be too stingy rather than order a $2.50 rubber gasket or is this
a special design?

TIA

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA