TR$ Starter question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR$ Starter question
From: Dietmar Schlei <dschlei@pressenter.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 22:57:00 -0500
Hi list

Today was the day that my TR4 ws to make its first drive after a long
winter om jack stands.  I tried to start it but had only very reluctant
reaction from the starter.  Up and back into the air with the car and out
with the strater (which was a pain in you know where).  I found that some
previous owner must have brazed one of the broken holes at the attachment
flange (and did a poor job because the piece fell off). After I took the
strater appart, I came to the cponclusion that it is in desperate need for
new brushes.  And now comes my question, how on earth can one get the
brushes out of the stator coils (I am not able to get the coils out because
those philips screws do not want to turn, can I just cut the leads and
solder the new brushes to the end?  How warm will the starter get?

And the next question is, shall I braze the flange back together (I never
worked with cast iron), or shalL I find a welding shop that can weld cast
iron.

As allways, any advise is very welcome, and I sure need all the advises
that I can get!

Best regards from the still snow covered northern Wisconsin.

Dietmar Schlei