TR^ frame

To: dconnitt@fuse.net
Subject: TR^ frame
From: "russell furzer" <rfurzer@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 07:11:47 FILETIME=[2E5A3D50:01C0BB44]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dear D
I've got a TR5 (the real 150bhp injected deal) which i'm restoring. i also
have the D3 on the x member. Wasn't there on my old TR4.  I don't recall
that the sheetmetal arch over the propshaft is part of the chassis- surely
it's part of the body (as it was on the TR4 and is on the TR5).  The TR5 had
a frame that was transitional between the 4A and 6, one of the key changes
is that the lower inner front wishbone mounts weren't reinforced on the TR4a
(to it's detriment), and were double reinforced on the TR6. (the
reinforcement consists of 2mm metal plates welded to the side of the mounts
and the top of the chassis rail). My TR5 has reinforcing on the rearmost
mounts only.  I assume that as TR5 production progressed, the reinforcement
was beefed up sequentially. I also assume that the TR5 frame is the same as
the contemporary TR250 frame.  perhaps your frame is the TR250 one.
Alternatively, you may not have the correct pulley on your crank. the TR4
one is different to the TR4a. might explain the fan thing.  Oh yeah, if your
frame has the reinforcing, dont mean nothing- many many of them would have
had retro fitted reinforcing ( the lower inner mounts snap off if you hit
the kerb!)  The TR4 has it's lower inner mounts at the base of the spring
tower, much better arrangement than its progeny!
Russell