Wire/Steel Wheel question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wire/Steel Wheel question
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 20:30:21 -0400
Ok-
Seeing a recent string on wire wheels requiring shorter studs for the adapters
got me wondering. I am planning to put disks on the front of the Herald, and
have the uprights and hubs from a Mk.2 Spitfire I will be using. This car
originally had wire wheels(had to mutilate one to remove it, but the outside
rim and wires were shot anyway.) and naturally it had the adapters.(One was
missing, however)

My question is, being the car had the adapters, should I replace the studs on
these hubs with longer ones?

Also, due to playing with this one factory wheel, I discovered the splines on
MG wires are about twice as deep as Triumph wire splines, so the MG wires I
have won't work with Triumph adapters properly. If anyone is interested in
purchasing a set (6- 5 and a wire donor spare) of used, painted 14" MG wires,
drop me a note off-list. Also, I have one rusty but potentially usable Triumph
adapter, from the above mentioned car.

Scott
64 Herald/Sports 1200 Convertible Undergoing intensive restoration
http://www.homestead.com/herald1200/