mid-60's TR4 adventure (Germany)

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: mid-60's TR4 adventure (Germany)
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 21:44:02 -0600
[warning: no technical content, no fluif questions]

On Friday I took one of my consultants up to start a short gig with a fairly new
client. The CFO I was meeting with is an older fellow in a dotcom office full
off fresh engineering bucks. He led a meeting that was awkward at times as the
engineers -- his and mine -- spoke in tongues. Finally they went to work and he
and I worked through the paperwork.

At some point I mentioned my TR4 and the CFO shared this near-death Triumph
experience. In the mid-60's he was stationed in Germany, and planned to take a
quick ski trip to Austria with a buddy. They headed up the autobahn in his
buddy's TR4, and the weather turned from indifferent to heavy snow and slush
covered roads. Shortly they slid off the road into the ditch and slammed the
driver's side against the center dividing wall. They pulled out the fenders and
were back on the road. His buddy was a bit concerned since he was a safety
officer and he thought he'd be in trouble when he called in the accident. But he
had to call, and after they were back on the road -- and off the road an hour
later, cleared a rise and spun 180 degrees, hitting the dividing wall this time
on the passenger side and bouncing back into the fast lane facing traffic. He
jumped out to flag down traffic, his buddy pulled out the newly mashed wings,
and this time they decided not to call it in. And with enough adventure on the
day, they turned back to base. No telling if that car ever made it to the U.S.

So if any of you bought a European delivery TR4 that looked to have taken a
serious beating, maybe this is the rest of the story. And as it provided a
chance to entertain another client, it's a great opportunity for me to argue the
Triumph is a business expense; will the IRS let me write off my engine rebuild,
do you think? ;-)

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO