wire wheel splines

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: wire wheel splines
From: "russell furzer" <rfurzer@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 05:43:55 FILETIME=[10FFAA00:01C0C0B8]
I think that you guys are missing the point with these splines. The SPLINES
are not designed to take the loads of accelerating/braking (far too piss-
weak).  The taper on the inner end of the wheel spline is supposed to mate-
slightly stretch onto its buddy on the hub (and the taper inside the spinner
stretches onto the taper on the end of the wheel).  Friction here takes the
load. The splines are to stop the thing spinning while you knock it on.
Irregularity (or paint, crud etc) on those tapers is the danger sign (then
the load can only be taken by the splines - doom approaches).  The tapers
should have the thinnest possible film of grease only.
I recall a nasty tale of a chap with a TR6PI who used an old hub, with good
splines on his car. He  inadvertantly painted the tapers in the course of
his restoration (carefully masked the splines).  All was fine until he was
flat out overtaking on the highway - nasty grinding squeal from the back
(splines stripping).  Stepped on the brakes - the spinner span off into the
night, closely followed by the wheel.  He need restoration after that!