Wheel studs too short

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wheel studs too short
From: RTriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 08:16:27 -0500 5.0.4 |June 8, 2000) at 04/09/2001 08:19:39 AM
>From: PeterSchop@aol.com
>In reading the thread on installing wire wheels, I realized why the >lug
nuts
>on my new old TR4 do not go all the way to the edge of the studs. >The car
>bought has disc wheels. When I popped the hub caps off I saw that >the
studs
>are about 1/4" in from  the edge of the  lug nuts. The car must >have had
wire
>wheels with the shortened studs in it's prior life. I see that I >will be
able
>to replace the studs on the front but are the studs on the rear
>replaceable?
The shorter wire wheel studs are easy to remove, but to install (or remove)
the longer studs requires dissassembly of the rotor assembly, they're just
too long to just slip them in.  The rear studs are peened in and must be
drilled out.
>If not, is it safe to drive the car like this?
Don't know.  Just check often for tightness.
Regards,
Richard Sr.