Don't Forget Your Spring Safety Inspection!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Don't Forget Your Spring Safety Inspection!
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:03:39 EDT
Listee's,

For those of us with antique license plates, not having to subject your LBC
to the rigors and cost of annual state vehicle inspection may seem like a
blessing.  But, unless you or your qualified mechanic friend/relative take a
few moments each spring and really check out brakes, fuel system, motor
mounts, lights, etc; you could be overlooking potential life-threatening
problems.....case in point -

I did my annual safety inspection on the Spitfire last week before taking too
many "around the block that turn into 30 mile" roadtrips and was glad I did.
The lower control arm on the driver's side had opened a crack quite nicely
where the control arm meets the front chassis mounting bracket.  I was able
to locate a spare control arm thanks to Brian at PowerBritish and replaced it
and the bushings last Thursday afternoon.

I suppose that the control arm would have gotten pretty sloppy as it neared
total destruction and I would have felt some fairly significant steering
wheel shimmy before it gave out completely but I feel a whole lot better
replacing it to avoid disaster.

So, get under those cars and check things out - your time will be well spent.

Chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (complete rolling chassis finished - busy painting various
interior parts, assembling the engine and still doing body prep - check out
my progress by visiting http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1270980)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (winter covers off - she's on the road again!)