RE: GT6: Not Quite a Duck Hook

Subject: RE: GT6: Not Quite a Duck Hook
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:47:25 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
 Martin Secrest wrote :

> What does a seized piston do?

Easy test is to push the pistons back, just before you remove the pads to
inspect for contamination.  If you can't push the piston back, it's stuck

> Could a warped rotor produce these symptoms,

Not likely.

> and if so, does one determine
> "warpedness" with a caliper

Easy way is to spin hub/rotor while watching the edge through the brake
caliper that you've just taken the pads out of (see above).  If the braking
surface appears to move sideways relative to the caliper, the rotor/hub is
warped.  If you want a precise measure, mount a dial indicator to the
vertical link somehow (eg take the caliper off and use the caliper mounting
ears), so the tip rides on the rotor and the shaft is perpendicular to the
rotor.  Then turn the rotor slowly and watch the indicator reading.  You may
have to pull the wheel bearings up extra tight to remove any wobble due to
normal clearance.

Michael Porter wrote :

> > Keep in mind that if it feels like a steady drift to the left, it can
> > also occur with out-of-balance rear brakes. If this is related to rear
> > adjustment, you can check that by using the handbrake to see if you get
> > the same sort of drift to the left.

However, the handbrake may pull when the hydraulics don't.  I'm not sure how
the GT6 is compensated, but most handbrake compensators are not perfect, may
be rusted, bound up, etc.

Randall