electronic ignition, ballasted coils, & voltages

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: electronic ignition, ballasted coils, & voltages
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:43:47 -0400
I am very frustrated in trying to figure out how my ballasted
(6v) coil and electronic ignition interact.  I understand how a
ballasted coil is SUPPOSED to work, and the one on my TR6 (points
ignition) works just as it is supposed to.  The voltage reading at
the + lead on the coil is 6v with the ignition switch in the run
position and 12v with the switch in the start position.  But on the
Spitfire (Lucas electronic ignition) the voltage reading is just
about the same with the ignition switch in the run and start
position (maybe a 1v difference).  I suspected that there was no
ballast resistance wire in the circuit, so I added a ballast
resistor that came with the coil to the circuit.  This had virtually
no effect on the readings.  So I took the resistor out of the
circuit and checked the resistance of the wire that leads from the
ignition switch to the starter solenoid; the resistance wire is
supposed to be in there somewhere.  Sure enough, there was
resistance, but it was 50 ohms compared to the 1 to 3 ohms I
expected (the resistor I stuck in the circuit temporarily was only
a couple of ohms).  None of the other wires in the group from the
ignition switch had any resistance, so I'm pretty sure I got the
right one; it was light purple and white striped.  So, why am I
getting nearly the same reading at the + coil when running or
starting?  The resistance seems to be there, but it doesn't cut
the voltage.  What am I missing?

Thanks for any help,
Tim