Girling Type 12 Calipers(Long as usual)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Girling Type 12 Calipers(Long as usual)
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:25:31 -0400
Hi Everybody!

Hope everybody has had a Fun Easter Fix-Up time! I actually put the time to
good use Saturday, cleaning and resetting the garage. Thanks to my work
throwing out about a hundred little cardboard parts bins, I have been able to
sufficiently rearrange my parts storage :) I also spent a little time on the
47 Plymouth, so it will be ready to depart when the time comes-(Then I go for
the new interior!)

Currently, I am working on the calipers I have. I finally decided to find a
way to remove the pistons, which were firmly frozen into the bores. In the
time honored tradition of destruction of replaceable parts, I ended up
drilling and tapping threads into a hole through the center of each piston,
and using a large eyebolt to extract them.(Eyebolt threads in, hits back of
cylinder, pulls piston out.) Shame, really, pistons seemed OK otherwise, but
they did have heavily rusted dust seal retention grooves.

  Having extracted the pistons, I set about the bleeder screws. One came out
wonderfully. The other came out in the more normal way- kicking and
screaming.(I was, anyway.) Although I tried to use the "axial pressure" method
mentioned in some recent threads, it decided to be contrary, and shear anyway.
(I guess I failed to inform it that it was being treated in such a way that is
was not supposed to break) So, being the proud possessor of a low mileage full
size drill press, I set about drilling out the offending item, and retapping
the threads. That took a little effort to do, as I had drilled lost of the way
through, then the tip of the bleeder spun, as there was nothing there to hold
it. I finally ran a pin-punch through the back of the bleeder hole, and
punched it out. I then had to carefully deepen the hole, and add a few threads
to the hole. This seems to work nicely.

Now I am wondering what it would cost to get the calipers rebuilt, having
taken care of the hard part myself. I am looking for someone to bead-blast or
otherwise clean the exterior, then hone the cylinder, and install new pistons.
Two of the dust seal retention groves are slightly damaged- about 1/4" broke
off on two of them, but this should not affect the operation of the dust seal.
Could anyone recommend someone to do this? Otherwise, I may just get the kits
myself and do it. I've done them before, but prefer not to...

I also have to get around to cleaning up the hubs. The wheel bearings which
came with them seem to be in good shape, as are the races, but I need to take
a good look before I install them.

One last question- does anyone have a good number (and brand!)for replacement
seals for the hubs? Mine came with the felt seals, and I would like to replace
them with rubber ones. The size called for in one suppliers book is too
large(just a hair) for the outside diameter, and so is the inside seal! It
fits on, but not tight. The size they give for the earlier spitfire is the
right ID, but the OD is too small! I need something right in between. Of
course, if I have no other option, I will reuse the original felt type with
hi-temp grease on the bearings.

Thanks for any assistance,

Scott
64 Herald/Sports 1200 Convertible