RE: Update:California SB800 /SB1172 (long, increasingly little LBC, Cali

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Update:California SB800 /SB1172 (long, increasingly little LBC, California centric)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:03:28 -0700
Hugh :

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you personally, I certainly
didn't mean to.  Nor was I accusing you of owning a trailer queen.  I don't
even consider it a bad thing to own a car that is only for show, it's just
not my style.  My impression is that it's not your style, either.

As I see it, the end of any interesting car model is to be put on a pedestal
(as it were) only to be looked at in a museum.  Sooner or later, we get down
to the last one, and that's a fit place for it.  Still, to me, it's a sad
thing when there aren't any more being driven on the streets, for fear of
irreversible damage.  That's my opinion, and it's worth everything it costs
!

I was only trying to present my opinion of SB800, and illustrate why many
times, a bill that sounds really good may not _be_ so good.  Certainly not a
war, just an exchange of information, ideas, opinions ...

Your other points :

2) It's not the DMV's job to keep people from driving without current
registration, only to deny current registration.  I would argue that the
large number of people driving without, illustrates that they are very good
at what they do ...

3) My belief is that CARB (like most government agencies) is functionally
insane.  They were quite embarrassed by their study, and have lost
significant amounts of their influence with our legislature because of it.
They also haven't (yet, AFAIK) gotten funding for permanent road-side
"sniffers".

4) I don't consider having to pass smog inspection being "keeping our cars
off the road".  IMO, it's more in the PITA category.  Yes, there are people
that are convinced our cars are the source of all pollution.  They are
wrong.  BTW, my TR3A passed smog inspection once (after flunking the first
time because it was too clean), I believe it would pass again today.

I do "get involved", which is the reason I'm familiar with this stuff ...

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver - now sitting in the parking lot at work