TR7 BFH -- binding upper strut

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH -- binding upper strut
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:42:04 EDT
Hello all,

I hope everyone is finally getting out to drive as the weather starts to warm
up.  Beautiful down here in North Carolina, and I've been enjoying tooling
around in the TR7, except when it ran out of gas because the fuel gauge was
stuck at the halfway point.  My wife, who was with me, wasn't impressed....

Now a question.  I think I am getting some binding on the upper strut bearing
that is causing hard steering, particularly at slow speeds.  There's a place
to pack some grease around the thurst collar, just under where the assembly
bolts to the fender valance.  From the manual, I can't figure out if I can
get to this spot without having to take out the whole spring/damper assembly.
 Anybody done this before?

Thanks for letting me know what I'm up against!

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC