TR7 BFH -- fuel pump/oil leak

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH -- fuel pump/oil leak
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:59:54 EDT
Everyone,

Before I forget, you've probably already heard about this, but for all of you
who live anywhere near Winston-Salem, North Carolina, don't forget that "The
Gathering" of LBCs is being held at Reynolda House this weekend, courtesy of
the Triumph Club of the Carolinas.  Check out www.triumphclub.org for more
info.

Now for my oil leak.  Yeah, I know.  This is an old story.  The new fuel pump
I bought from Victoria British seems to be leaking oil.  Surprise, surprise,
an LBC leaking oil...!  However, instead of leaking around the gasket/spacer,
it seems to be coming from a small "weep" hole on the underside of the pump.

I assume the hole is there for a reason, but maybe this pump has LBC
applications other than my TR7, where the lower part of the pump doesn't get
exposed to as much oil?  I suspect this is the case, that the pump has other
apps, because to get the pump to work, I had to use "half" of a spacer.  A
full spacer, and it wouldn't pump.  No spacer, and it wouldn't bolt down all
the way against the block.

Anyway, do you think I could try plugging the hole and see what happens?

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC